Interesting messages from the Email Grapevine :
25 WAYS TO EAT & DRINK HEALTHILY
- 1. Never drink iced water, especially not with meals. This interferes with flow of digestive juices and impairs digestion.
- 2. Drink a glass of fresh pure water, at room temperature, the first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It should be taken hot
only when one is troubled by constipation. In that case, a little
lemon may be added.
- 3. Drink five to eight glasses of water every day. (Approx one glass
for every 14 pounds of body weight). Drink mineral water to be
on safe side.
- 4. Don't drink water with your meals, but take it half hour before
or two to three hours after meals so as not to disturb the process
of digestion by diluting the digestive juices.
- 5. Sip the water slowly, never gulp it down at once.
- 6. In order to restore life elements of the water lost in
boiling/processing, pass it through the air, pouring it from
one glass to another. You will soon notice that this gives a
slightly invigorating and stimulating effect, which is absent
in lifeless and devitalized water.
- 7. It is better to eat fruit than to drink fruit Juices.
- 8. Don't keep juices standing, as they will lose their precious
enzymes.Orange Juice for instance loses one third of them after
half hour and all of them after two hours.
- 9. Alcohol, tea, coffee and chocolate are not recommended because
tannic acid, theine, caffeine and theobromine are stimulants.
- 10. Milk is a food, not a drink. It should be taken in small
sips, otherwise it is likely to produce indigestion.
- 11. It is not the amount of food you eat that nourishes your
body, but only the amount the body itself can assimilate.
- 12. Choose carefully the foods that suit your system, choose
them just as carefully as you choose a dress, a hat or a tie.
YOU HAVE TO TRY VARIOUS FOOD COMBINATIONS
UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHICH SUIT BEST.
- 13. Avoid all devitalised foods like canned food, polished rice,
white flour and refined sugar. Use unpolished rice, whole wheat
flour and brown sugar/honey.
- 14. Chew your food carefully, especially if it is the starchy kind,
so that it may be properly mixed with saliva, otherwise starch
will lie waiting for digestion for several hours.
- 15. Toasted bread is better than fresh. Do not eat it with liquid.
Drink before eating the bread, as starch should be converted into
glucose by saliva.
- 16. Eat only one starch to a meal. For instance, if you take rice
then omit bread, potatoes, macaroni starchy pudding and so on.
- 17. If you suffer from gas, it is advisable to plan your meals
so that you do not eat starch and protein together; and specially
not with cooked sulphur foods like peas, cabbage, cauliflower, eggs,
turnips and so on because gas is produced by sulphur working on the
- 18. Don't throw away the water in which vegetables have been boiled
but use it for soup, gravies or for drinking. Potato water is very
good as it alkalizes the body.
- 19. Fried foods as well as rich dishes should be avoided
altogether, because these digest more slowly than fat itself.
Fat is the last to leave the stomach, carbohydrates come first
and then proteins.
- 20. All saturated fats, like lard, margarine, eggs, butter and
dairy products tend to increase the blood cholesterol level and
can be classified as unessential fats.
- 21. Any diet which is high in saturated fat is dangerous. So eat
balanced meals, a high fat and low protein diet inhibits the
function of enzymes.
- 22. Remember, it is not only the calories and amount of fat that
determines the nutrition and health, but the quality of fat.
Bacon, for instance has caloric fat value only. It contains nothing
else,neither vitamins, nor minerals.
- 23. Six glasses of fresh raw cabbage juice a day keep peptic
- 24. The richest source of protein is soya bean. two pounds of
soya been flour contain as much protein as four pounds of cheese,
five pounds of boneless meat or six dozen eggs or fifteen quarts
of milk. Soya bean is the only non-acid forming protein.
- 25. The most essential rule about food, however, has nothing to
do with quantity, quality or preparation, but with your mental
attitude at the time you are eating it.